Thursday, November 8, 2007

jo+seph=us...part II

i was one of three henry kids growing up.

there was my older brother landon. there was my baby brother matt. then, me. the only girl...right smack dab in the middle.

i loved it.

most girls would hate something like that but my brothers and i were always so close. sure, we had our arguments. sure we knocked each other to the ground a few times. but for the most part, we were thicker than thieves. best buds. we were family.

there were plenty of days in my childhood that, although my brothers were my best friends, i dreamed for a sister. wouldn't it be so fun?! that bond with someone. a girl. just like me. someone to play with and imagine with and fall asleep talking with. i knew it wouldn't happen, but hey, i could dream.

as i grew older i began to realize that one day, when my brothers married, there would be other girls in my family. i was also blessed enough to know that when they did marry, their wives would be loved by all of the family.

one thanksgiving day, a few years ago in odessa, texas. i drove landon to the airport to pick up his girlfriend. it would be the first time the family would meet her. i was a little nervous. this girl, sarah...landon talked about her a lot and when he did, his eyes would shine. his smile could not be contained. what if she took my place? what if she was his new best girl? how would i deal with that? the i realized that i already knew. no one could take my place with landon. of course his wife would be his best girl, but we would always have a special spot for each other. if this girl stuck around, everything would be fine. the closer we got to the airport, the more excited i got. something told me this wasn't just an ordinary girl.

landon and i walked into the airport together and i stood back as i watched my big brother walk over to a beautiful brown haired, brown eyed girl. her smile lit up the room when she saw him. they hugged and kissed and then i made my way towards them. sarah and i smiled at each other and hugged. i loved her instantly.

we went back to san angelo and sarah stayed at my apartment with me and slept in my room. we stayed awake talking until 3am. it was all about landon and the way she felt about him.

over the next few months and years, as sarah and i got to know each other, i realized why i never had a sister growing up. my sister, the one that i was supposed to love and cherish and who would cherish me was right here. i would love sarah like my own flesh and blood sister for the rest of my life.

sister-
i love you so much. i am so glad my brother found you. you are such an amazing part of our family and my life. i feel blessed that God chose to stick you with the henry's for life. we will grow old being sisters and for that, i couldn't be more greatful. i hope you have a wonderful birthday and i so wish i could be with you. i love you a ton. jo.

1 comments:

CG said...

That was beautiful! I am in tears!
I totaly know the feeling of wanting a sister, and worring about the new girl in brothers life. My brothers wife told him he was on he phone to long the other day after 10 min. :( However God did give me a sister through my husband. i love her and miss her. What a blessing you have.