Wednesday, April 1, 2009

the boy without a name...

there is a beautiful, carlsbad caverns type cave not far from san antonio. the story is told that when the cave was discovered, it was too beautiful to be named. it is, instead, called the cave without a name.

i really thought, a few months ago, that we had names for our babies 90% picked. however, on the way out of the doctor's office on that beautiful day we discovered our baby was to be a boy, michael declares "well, we have to come up with a name now."

we've spent the last few weeks going over every name we've ever heard of plus some. i have crystal's 100,001+ baby names. nada. see, michael wants something super traditional and i want something in between. there are names i've mentioned that he scoffs at. others he responds with "is that even a name? it just sounds like sounds put together." yeah-it hasn't been the easiest of discussions.

add to that the fact that my mom and many friends are dying to call this kid something other than sesse and we're experiencing quite the influx of questions.

the other day michael said, "maybe he's just so beautiful that he'll be the boy without a name. your dad calls me 'what's his name.' surely we can call him no name."

i didn't think it was very funny.

i know we have plenty of time and giving your child a name that he will have for the rest of his life is a pretty serious thing. but...i am ready to give him more of an identity.

got any suggestions?

7 comments:

cls said...

That's a tough one. Names are oh-so-important and I even believe they're prophetic. Pray for his name. God will reveal it to you.

I know if I ever have a son I want him to have a strong name that will carry him through this life with confidence and determination. Does that sound silly?

I'd look into the meanings of names first...and then go from there. You might be surprised at what you find!

And freakin' congratulations by the way!!!

rhondamarie said...

don't worry it will come to you....squirt was not named until we left the hospital for most of the same reasons you have already listed. ultimately we just couldn't decide until we saw her.

La said...

John and I had lots of "discussions" like you guys are having. We just couldn't agree! The name books never helped me either. I remember just laying around thinking and thinking and not coming up with anything that was good enough.

So don't worry. That baby boy will get a name, even if it's not until he's born.

Adam said...

Whatever you name him, I suggest putting the name you are going to call him as his first name. As Landon and I can tell you, it is very frustrating to correct teachers and others your whole life. "Miss, I go by Adam." Were the words I knew I would have to blurt out first day of school. Funny thing, I still have to do that. As far as suggestions for an actual name, personally I like Tiger, Phil or Padraig. Those are some "Major" cool names :)

JAC said...

I think David Michael or Michael David are totally wonderful names!!! Would I tease you?????

team D said...

I think that what helped us was that we wanted our kids named after people. So we took the people that we wanted to name them after and looked for names from that point. We wanted our names to be something that was so common so that they would be in school with two or three kids that all had the same name. My sister and me both went through that in school and that is hard. But maybe if you start with some of the people that you admire then you chould work off that and come up with a name both of you would love. Hope that helps and it is a great story to tell later on when they ask how they got their name!

Rebecca Lynn said...

I had an ephiphany the other day: most of my closest friends have names that I would never give to my children--not bad names, just not names I'm in love with. And yet, they are all amazing friends who mean the world to me. What I'm getting at is that it's much more important who your son turns out to be than what his name is...so don't put so much pressure on the name selection that it stresses you out. :) Congrats by the way!