Sunday, February 24, 2008

westover hills

michael and i tried out a new church this morning.

westover hills ag.

i must say, it was one of the strangest experiences of my life.

don't get me wrong, the church was beautiful (and big), the worship was nice (although there were many songs michael and i didn't know) and the preaching was good, but...i just have a certain expectation for preaching.

i've had my own experience of visiting other churches, well up until fourth grade anyway. since then, i've gone to my dad's church. i must say that i've rather enjoyed that. i just love saf. i love the worship there, i love the people there and i love, love, LOVE the pastors there. it's just weird for me to be looking for another church, knowing that any that we find could never compare to the one we truly love.

the pastor this morning preached on God's pay days. the main idea was prosperity in things not only wordly but in the blessings God gives you. pay attention to things that are not only monetary. He gives graciously to his children.

every time he mentioned pay days, a picture of a payday candy bar popped into my head. now, i know we've been eating really healthy this week, but still, it was a little ridiculous.

anyway, though we liked whag okay, we think we'll keep looking. maybe something a little smaller, maybe something a little more like home.

no matter where we end up, we know Jesus will be there.

i miss you daddy.

7 comments:

Kia said...

Hi Kylah, this is Kara, Jenny's sister in law. We live in San Antonio also and have gone to Eagle's Nest on 281 and Bitters quite a few times and really enjoy it. It's not huge, at least not compared to other churches we have been to in town but is rapidly growing. Here's a link to their website.

http://www.encfsa.com/

Have you been to Oak Hills Church? We have some friends that go there and have nothing but good things to say about it. It is on I-10, just outside 1604.

Dawn said...

That would make your Daddy's day!

CG said...

Hi oh! I know I love saf! We do have a great pastor and his wife wow she is beautiful!

I have a friend who is a coach in SA. I will find out what church she goes to.

kelli said...

I can't imagine having to look for a church...i'm sure you have high expectations without even realizing it!! You and Michael will find the right church, don't be discouraged :) Love ya!

Mari said...

Kylah, I attended WHAG when I lived in SA back in the dark ages. I don't know who the pastor is now, but it was a really awesome church then (1992). I had to go a few times before I really felt at home. Looking for a new home church is extremely hard, but I know God will lead you and Michael to the right one and will use you greatly. Of all the churches I tried out, WHAG felt the most like home, but then again, that was 15+ years ago.
Love ya, Mari Dickson-Johns

marme said...

It made your mama's day too. I know God will lead you to the right church where you can be an effective part and keep growing.

Just keep looking!

marme said...

I just went to the Eagle's Nest website. That is Rick Godwin's church!

I use to LOVE to listen to him on t.v. If he's the same, he's good. Maybe you should try it. I use to want to go visit his church when I would be in SA