Friday, October 10, 2008

a crude reminder, i wasn't askin' for

in northside we have something called advisory. it's a time, twice a month where about 15 kids from grades k-5 will come into my room for character building lessons and team building fun days. the advisory times are only 30 minutes each, but they can get pretty fun.

this morning was our first team building day. all of my advisory kids came to my room at 7:55am. a lot of them are kids i had last year, but there were several new to steubing and then of course, two new kindergartners. we sat for a just a couple of minutes until i knew everyone's name and they all knew mine. then, we headed outside for our team building experience.

we started with a game called all aboard. we laid out a sheet and everyone from our class got on the sheet. then, we folded the sheet in half and got everyone back on the sheet. we repeated these same steps until the sheet was really small and kids were standing on each other's feet and holding on for dear life. it was pretty stinkin' fun.

now...the bad part.

my coworker, rosemary, suggests that our two advisory classes should get together and play duck-duck-goose. "oh! what a great idea! come on, guys, gather 'round and make a big circle!"

mrs. lara goes first. she walks half way around the circle "ducking" people. she gets to me..."GOOSE!" we both run pretty fast and all the kids laugh. running rosemary gets to her spot before i tag her. now...it's my turn.

what do i do?

yeah. i goose the fastest boy in the group.

stupid.

he catches me just before i sit in his spot. the kids laugh at me and tell me to sit in the middle. i don't think i've ever been in the middle before. i mean really, because i didn't even remember that you go to the middle when you lose. to make matters worse, you have to stay in the middle until some other slow person takes your spot. i never realized how that game can kill your self confidence.

well, after that, the kids thought i was so slow that a couple of them goosed me. jerks.

i mean, who on earth needs to be reminded that while they say they "used to be fast" none of the people in their presence believe them. i felt like that old lady that has never been any sort of athletic in her life.

just so you know, i was athletic. but man, i guess that's been a heck of a long time ago. see if i ever play a game with those kids again.

no thank you. jerks.

3 comments:

Adam said...

Once a jock! Always a supporter. I know how you feel, I was joking around with a couple of girls on my soccer team and I said I was going to call them "speedy and super shin." (Because one is really fast and one never wears shin guards.) Anyway they laughed and then said we're gonna call you "Old Coach or Coach Old." Then they laughed thinking its so funny. HA stinking Ha, they weren't laughing at the end of practice. Call me Old. :)

Anonymous said...

I'll vouch for you. You were very athletic!

3KMP Proves it :)

kablot spot said...

You know how you know you are a true sanguine personality. When you were little, you lost on purpose so you could sit in the middle. That was me. (Although, I was never fast so I probably would have ended up there anyway. So I guess it was good that I enjoyed it.)