Wednesday, August 29, 2007

classroom kotze

okay, i know. it's about time. and it is, it's the exact time. it's school time.

my first day in first grade at steubing elementary was a little crazy. i think the craziest part was just the schedule. it's just that we have our rotation (like pe and music) time at 9:30 in the morning. that should always be an afternoon time for young kids. especially because they're the most awake in the mornings and that's the best time for teaching, not physical activity. but, oh well, we're stuck with what they give us.

anyway, the first day wasn't too bad, just a little less organized than i usually prefer my classroom. the second day was much better and today seems like things are starting to get normal. by the end of the week, i am hoping for a normal day fulfilling all of the parts of my schedule. i'll let you know how that goes.

i've ended up with 18 kids and it feels great! that's a pretty low number for me. i'm used to the full enchilada (22) all year long. 10 girls. 8 boys. perfect. too many boys=too much chaos. too many girls=too much drama. this might be a pretty good combination. seems to be so far. i'll let you know how that goes too.

my coworkers are really awesome and i'm enjoying getting to know them. i do miss my friends from lamar though. i don't know if i'll ever forget them, they're so wonderful. but these gals sure make good friends.

one really great thing (although i was only around the corner and 3 minutes from work in san angelo) is in the midst of san antonio, it still only takes me 15 minutes to get to work. i'm heading away from the major traffic pile ups (thank goodness!)

so, for the first three days of first grade 2007-2008 i'm pretty happy. now, pictures of my classroom.

the view of classroom kotze from the door.
(that's a math wall, if you were wondering, i know you were!)
the view from the reading station.

the front of the room.my little nook (it took me forever to figure out what to do.
i kept wanting to change it but nothing else ever worked!) i like it now!

there ya go...classroom kotze in a nutshell.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your classroom and your little nook...it all looks so cozy!

Aunt Sandy said...

HI,
I'm seph's aunt. I'd love to have 18 students!!! What a nice number. I teach 7th math and in my 8th period I have 34 students!!! (We have been in school for two weeks and I just got my 34th today.) My smallest class is 26. Anyhow, I hope your year is wonderful.

La said...

It's good to finally hear how everything's going! Your class looks great and 18 sounds wonderful. I wish John David could be in your class! (Not that I'm unhappy with his current teacher. She's great.)

I really meant to have a small bouquet of roses for him to take to his teacher on the first day of school and we were just too busy. Now that I see how much that one beautiful rose meant to you, I think we should go ahead and send the flowers anyway. I bet it would make her day.

We miss you here already. Come give your mamma a hug soon so she can quit moping around the church. =)

beautiful chaos said...

very cute room. not cluttered at all. You don't see that very often...
I likes!
Good job!

ree said...

Yeah, it's about time!!!
Love the classroom! And I love the bulletin board...it's so symetrical and organized...I love it!
Glad your first few days have gone well.

Meems said...

It looks great. I'll bet your kids just love you. It would be nice to be a fly on the wall in your classroom. I could probably learn a thing or two.

gulp235 said...

your room looks really big!