Friday, August 31, 2007

a compliment and a sneaky little boy

there are five very important colors in my classroom.

green, orange, blue, purple, red.

it's my classroom management system. when i give you several warnings and you do not change your action, you change a color.

you start each day on green. if you end on green, it means you've had a fabulous day. orange means you have a "serious warning." it's gets much worse from there.

i have a little boy who happens to be quite, ahem...active (as kdp put it). he had to pull a color and get an orange dot put in his take home folder on the second day of school. it just so happens that on the third day of school, we had a parent orientation in which i covered many aspects of the school and my classroom. one of the issues i covered was that of the colors and behaviors chart. at the end of my little behavior schpeel, this boy's dad, looks up with a grin and says,

"ian told me it was a compliment."

"uh...huh?" (that was me)

"Yeah, ian told me that an orange dot was a compliment."

we laughed and i explained that orange was unfortunately not a compliment. poor little guy.

poor teacher. he's yet to get another green.

3 comments:

gulp235 said...

i bet you are just filled with so many cute little stories like that. they are smarter than they appear to be.

Bethany Hernandez said...

i love this story! what a smart little boy...

Unknown said...

haha..that's hilarious..we use the same thing except ours is green,yellow, blue and red. I do like the dot idea for their folers..I might use that!