Thursday, September 27, 2007

quiet, working time

there are many times that i follow my directions for a project with, "okay, this is quiet working time. so...no talking."

i said that today and aisley said, "it's always quiet working time around here."

because of that i decided to let them listen to music. i don't have a cd player so i have to put the cd's in my computer and turn the speakers to face the kids. i have few cd's. 3 of them came in a pack. a "Silly songs for kids" pack. uh...okay.

i put a cd in, listened for a minute, kept skipping songs and finally took it out. i put in another cd and eventually did the same thing. i said, "sorry guys, that music is annoying me." come to find out, it was annoying them too. ;)

when i took out the second cd, i decided to put my overshadowed worship cd back in. i did, and i turned it down just a tad. a few kids looked over and logan mentioned that he could hear my music. i left it playing.

when mady came over to ask if i could turn the music up, i did.

my kids sat, calmly and quietly, working on a project for 35 minutes with worship music playing in the background of their minds.

it was lovely.

thank you, Jesus, for unexpected times of worship. thank you for placing me in this position for a reason. let me make a difference in these kids. a difference for you.

6 comments:

JAC said...

Here's trusting you are feeling better today! You are a real treasure.

cls said...

That's wonderful! I bet that was so peaceful! That's the beauty about small kids. If I did that in a high school setting, I'd have 30 emails from angry parents about me pushing religion on their children. *sigh

Unknown said...

music is definitely the key in my classroom..when they're working on whatever, we're either playing fun songs to sing along to, or quiet instrumental music..it makes a world of difference!

kdp said...

i do that too. they love the Christian music.

beautiful chaos said...

oooooo.... I bet your kiddos love that!
I am glad you did it!
Every exposure they have to God readies them for the choice they will someday have to make.
Good job, kj!

A's Rich Life said...

can you do that in a public school nowadays??? cool...