Monday, July 30, 2007

interview

thanks to everyone who prayed for me during my interview. i'll let you know as soon as i hear anything. but here's how it all went down:

i finally got to bed at 1:00am after a long drive to sa and a hairspray trip to wal-mart. i prayed that God would let me feel rested and awake when my alarm went off. i woke up 57 kagillion times during the night. my alarm went off at 6:45. i snoozed it. i got up at 6:51.

i quietly made my way to the shower, which i took in the dark, it was pretty relaxing. i'm not sure why i took my shower in the dark, i just did and i liked it so stop laughing at me. i came back to michael's room and got ready as quietly as i could (he kept a pillow over his head). believe it or not, in this humidity, i was still having a pretty good hair day. that never happens to me on important days, not even in san angelo, but i digress.

so, my interview was at 9am but i left the house at 815. you never know what kind of traffic to expect in a big city. i got to the school at 827. ha! there was practically zero traffic on my side of the highway. i left the school and went to the store to waste a little time. when i got back to the school (1o min early) i had to walk around the back way because the floors were being waxed. there was a sign on the office door that said have a seat and we'll be with you as soon as we can. that is exactly what i did. i made my way to the sitting area and, well....sat. i sat for 10 minutes listening to the principal on her phone in her office. she obviously didn't know i was there or she would have been a little more discreet with her conversation. at just about 9:00 i heard her say that she had an interview at 9:00 and that no one was here yet but she just saw one of her teachers walk around the corner. when that teacher walked in the door, i looked over and smiled, but she didn't see me. she walked into her principals' office where they excitedly talked about their summers. the principal then went on to say that they had four interviews today. "the first three have zero experience and the fourth one actually taught in our district before leaving a few years ago to have kids. she's ready to come back and she just put in her application a week ago. if she isn't totally terrible, then she will probably be it."

um...okay. what am i supposed to do at this point? should i yell to the back of the office, "yo, lady-i'm here so could you keep it down so neither of us feel awkward in a few minutes when you realize i've been sittin' here the whole time!?!?!" should i make myself at home and walk back and knock on her door and politely announce my presence in the chairs at the front, or should i sit quietly (like the sign said) and wait for them to bite their tongues.

well, anyone who knows me knows that i am not a yeller. i am not impolite and i am not crazy enough to just walk into someone's office who is about to interview me. so...i sat.

when i thought things couldn't get worse, a second third grade teacher walked in and the whole thing happened again. it is now about 10 after 9 and i have been sitting in the chair in the office for 20 minutes. now remember, my chair is about 10 feet from the door the teachers walked in. i walked in that same door 10 minutes before they did. all of a sudden, out of the corner of my eye, i see a body walk from the principals office into the office where i'm sitting and then quickly dart back in. there is quiet followed by a few giggles and then all three women proceed to a room attached to the principals office.

a couple of minutes later the principal walks out and excitedly greets me, "hello, kayla, thank you so much for coming this morning, i am mrs. so and so (i can't remember her name)." i respond, "hello, i'm kylah kotze, thank you for having me.) she realizes she has now said things she shouldn't have said where i could hear them and she's said my name wrong. yikes.

the interview starts with a question from the principal about my education and experience. i give it all ending with the fact that i have taught first grade for the past two years. she looks at me a little shocked and clarifies that i do have experience. "yes, ma'am."

"oh." she says

the interview continues on a pretty light hearted note after that and i answer the questions well and even make them laugh a time or two. i don't know if i'll get hired or not, i probably won't because the "fourth girl will probably not be terrible."

whether i do or do not get hired, i'm okay. i know that God has a plan and right now, i am totally fine with seeing what it is.

but, oh, what a silly morning it has been.

9 comments:

beautiful chaos said...

dear friend,
I just happen to know that you serve a God who is bigger than your interview. It does sound like the actual interview went pretty well...
It couldn't have hurt for those silly women to have noticed you, however, in the end His Will be done!
I know you were as professional as one could have been - given the awkward situation!
I will be praying for answers about your future!

beautiful chaos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I love that sometimes we get reminders of how our administration actually are just"normal people" like you and me! Don't you know she felt stupid after that! Haha..Don't worry about the interview~they'd be silly not to hire you! Plus, if that's the place where God wants you to be, nothing will stop that from happening! If not, then He's got somewhere much better in store for you!Blessings!

no_iffer said...

Oh, gosh! How wacky is all of that? Weird. I am sorry that it kind of started off that way, but maybe it was good for you to get to see the principal and teachers being so "candid." I hope you hear something very soon just so the horrible waiting game is over.

Interviews. What a pain!

Sarah P. Henry said...

wow.. that was amazing. what a weird situation. the fourth girl -- if she's not terrible. i just...am speechless. i prayed for you though sister. and i LOVE your comments on my baptism blog... :) i miss you.

ree said...

Wow, Kayla, what a day! The good news is that, as one has already said, God truly is on your side no matter what. The even better news is that you got another day to wake up with your sweetie!

kdp said...

dear kylah,
wow what a morning. just remember God is working on your behalf in the heavenlies. He knows exactly what school He wants you in. P.S. i would have sat and waited too!!! i too am speechless and i am so sorry for the whole event.

But God has a plan it was written in his book before one of your days were filled on earth. Psalm 139

Meems said...

What a crazy situation. I prayed for you to have favor. God will make away for you guys to be together. Don't worry about it Kayla.

cls said...

Hey Kylah! I found your blog by constantly reading Sarah's (isn't it wonderful??) Anyhow, I've been reading it for awhile (I hope that doesn't sound weird) and I just wanted to wish you well on your search for a new teaching position. I KNOW how stressed out you must feel.

I did the same thing when we moved from Texas to Arkansas. We bought a house, moved, and I had to learn new curriculum and standards two weeks before school started because that's when I got hired. It was awful! This all happened in the same month. Horrible.

I'll be praying for you. I bet once that lady found out you had experience, she changed her mind on hiring the 4th person. Good luck!!

And I love how addicted you are to blogs. I'm right there with ya.

-- Cassandra

P.S. How do you pronounce your new last name? Congrats, by the way! :o)